The Wesleyan Athletic Circle of Honor was created in 2007 to show appreciation to members of the Wesleyan community who have made significant contributions to Wesleyan athletics. Those chosen for induction into the Athletic Circle of Honor have influenced our community through their ability, dedication, and service to our athletic program while at Wesleyan and following their graduation.
Anyone may nominate for the Athletic Circle of Honor. All nominations go before the Executive Committee prior to going before the full Nominating Committee. After the Executive Committee has fully vetted all nominees, the full Nominating Committee will vote on who moves forward to the Coaches Committee for final voting on induction. An athlete or contributor must be nominated each year in order to be considered. Potential inductees may be nominated more than one time, and nominations must be submitted by May 1.
The Head Coaches Committee will vote via secret ballot after the nominating meeting. In an effort to support the philosophy and need of the school to encourage all student-athletes to be multi-sport participants, the voting requirement for single-sport athletes will be 80% for induction as opposed to a 2/3 vote for multi-sport athletes. Earning a varsity letter in at least two sports as a senior is required to meet the definition of being a multi-sport participant. All inductees will be notified by the Athletic Department of acceptance into the Athletic Circle of Honor before a public announcement is made. Names of nominees will not be announced to the public.
Nomination Criteria for Alumni
The following will be considered when nominating and selecting alumni to the Athletic Circle of Honor:
- Nominees will have a waiting period of at least five years from their high school graduation date.
- Nominees will have made a significant contribution to one or more of the Wesleyan athletic programs.
- Nominees will have demonstrated good citizenship in high school or will have a demonstrated track record of significant and positive contributions to society since graduation, or both.
- Nominees will exhibit excellence in personal and/or professional life after Wesleyan graduation.
- Nominees must have made immense contributions to one division of the sport to be considered for selection; however, excellence in multiple sports is preferred.
Nomination Criteria for Friends of Athletics
The following will be considered when nominating and selecting friends (coaches and others) to the Athletic Circle of Honor:
- Nominees may include but are not limited to coaches and friends of the program who are no longer associated with Wesleyan athletics.
- Nominees must have made a significant contribution to Wesleyan athletics.
- Nominees must be exemplary role models for the students of Wesleyan.
- Nominees must exhibit excellence in personal and professional life after their time at Wesleyan.
- Nominees may no longer be employed at Wesleyan.
Honorees will be given a commemorative gift and a duplicate of a plaque which will bear a Bible verse of their choosing and will hang in the lobby of the Yancey Gymnasium. Inductees will be honored at a home varsity basketball game and must attend in order to be inducted. The website will have a list of all inductees.